Wednesday 24 October 2012

Forgotten Realms for Basic Dungeons and Dragons

As you can see I've been on a D&D kick this last few weeks as our DM Big J has gone back to basics. Some call it Old School, others call it a Renaissance, others a return to form. I call it great fun, and that's all that matters to me and my group.

Now that Big J is running his adventures in the world of Greyhawk, I've been wondering what to do next as the GM. I've looked at a sequel to my Call of Cthulhu game, and I've been sniffing around D6 Star Wars. The thing is, I've been kidding myself; I want to run Basic D&D, and I need a setting to run it in.

Of course, my initial instinct is to create my own world but I'm enjoying playing in Greyhawk so I'd like to run an adventure in a D&D campaign setting. I'll not go back to Krynn for sure - the last AD&D campaign I played in at the tail end of the 1980s was a Dragonlance/Ravenloft mash-up, and the scars of that experience run deep. So my next, and almost obvious, choice is Forgotten Realms. I like the setting as it is the location of some of my favourite D&D material - the original Icewind Dale and Dark Elf trilogies, the computer games of Baldurs Gate and other stuff besides.

I dug out my original AD&D boxset of the campaign setting (it's sadly missing one of the maps, but that's not a problem) and had a read, and I think this is where I'll go once Big J's Greyhawk campaign has been completed, which looks like it'll be well into next year the way things are looking. I don't mind - I'll design the game, set the adventures up and I can pull it out when I need it. I may have changed my mind by the time I get around to running a game again, but we'll see. Right now, Basic D&D is my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment