Monday 1 October 2012

James M Ward Interview

Please welcome to Farsight Blogger James M Ward, the man who bought us the first sci-fi roleplaying game Metamorphosis Alpha back on 1976.

FARSIGHT BLOGGER - Welcome to Farsight Blogger. Perhaps you'd like to tell us a little bit about yourself?

JAMES M WARD: I'm James M. Ward and I've worked in the hobby since 1974. I wrote the first science fiction role playing game: Metamorphosis Alpha released in 1976 and its still selling on line today.

FB - Tell us about your RPG history - what got you into the wonderful world of tabletop roleplaying?


JW: Gary Gygax was kind enough to teach me how to play D&D. I remember it took me six months to figure out the poly dice.

FB - What is it about the tabletop RPG hobby that attracts you? What do you enjoy most when playing a game?

JW: I like the challenge of surviving in a fantasy world. I enjoy learning new game systems and playing wizard style characters.

FB - What's your favourite game? What games that are out there at the moment float your boat?


JW: METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA is my game and I still love playing it.

FB - Do you still get time to play? What are you playing at the moment?

JW: I'm in the middle of playtesting a new adventure I've written called SQUIRREL TOWER.

FB - The tabletop roleplaying hobby has been through a lot changes over the years and it seems that its death-knell is always sounded when newer hobbies come along, such as collectible card games and online computer games. It still seems to be able to hold it’s own, though – what do you see happening to the hobby in the future? What changes, if any, do you think will have to be made to ensure its survival?

JW: It's going to survive no matter what because you can't beat sitting around the table with friends and playing. I think there might be a lot more Skyping going on in the future.

FB - Out of all your projects, what are you most proud of?

JW: I have a lot of projects to be proud of. I think the original Gamma World was some of my best work.

FB - You’ve no doubt mixed with other great names in the roleplaying community – do you have any stories or anecdotes to share? Any horror stories? Be as frank as you like!

JW: I really like working with Steve over at Troll Lords, he has such a good and positive attitude about life that he's fun to deal with.

FB - What are you working on at the moment?

JW: I've just started blogging at www.eldritchent.com and that's interesting for me. I'm working on an OGL adventure called BASTION OF WOLVES that has the potential to be a big hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment